Saturday 16 January 2010

Too much water!

It's hard to believe but there is actually too much water to paddle! It has been a very frustrating month for paddling so far with 3 weeks of so much snow that it was nearly impossible to get anywhere without the 4X4. This does mean that I have managed to spend the last 3 weeks doing absolutely nothing but snowboarding/snowboating on every slope within about a mile of my house, but I really wanted to go kayaking!
I have a brand new paddle sitting in the shed just waiting to be used and it is impossible to get to the river to use it. There is 2 bridges across the Avonmore river near my house, the only way to get kayaking is to cross them. The one upstream can't be reached as all the roads near it are flooded and the downstream one has water going over the top of it, meaning the Gardai have closed it.
The river itself probably isnt safe to paddle anyway as most of the bridges upstream are impassable, Clara Vale bridge seems to have a tree actually through it which is going to prove interesting when the water goes down I'd say. Lets just hope the water dissipates slowly and that I can get out during the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment